Friday, March 9, 2012

Joy in the Journey

This morning I woke up, did my normal jumping-around-the-house workout routine and layed on the floor after failing to complete my 25 sit ups. After a couple of minutes I felt impressed to look out the window. What greated my eyes was a beautiful Montana sunrise. There are mountains surrounding all of Kalispell and the closest ones to our home are to the east, right outside our huge back windows. I so desperately wanted to take a picture but I knew my budget (New Zealand slang for cheap) camera would not even remotely be able to capture the beauty that lay before me. The face of the snow spotted mountains was a beautiful, deep blue with the sun pinked clouds creating a sharp contrast as they stung just above the mountains in the sky. The sun would probably not peak over the tops of the mountains for another ten minutes and my mind reflected on the well worn advice that we find joy in our journey.

Many times throughout life I get so anxious for something to happen, an occasion to arrive or an experience to end that I take very little joy in my journey. Sometimes we are so focused on seeing the sun that we miss the breathtaking sunrise preceeding it. How much beauty would we miss if the sun just appeared in the sky every morning and suddenly disapeared each evening? How much joy do we pass by when we focus so much on the destination and miss the scenes along the trail? We will get no where in life if we arrive at our destination and learn nothing from our journey. Our Heavenly Father has given us experiences large and small to bring us happiness and joy as we journey back to Him. Find joy in your journey and don't forget to watch the sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment